Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Rambles (#1): Writing About Writing

A couple of months ago, I spent some of my birthday money on a couple of notebooks, and I was not sure what I wanted to write in one of them, so I just began to write what came into my head. Then, when I had written a page, I realised it read like a blog post, so, I decided that this new notebook would be where I wrote all my rambling thoughts that could potentially become blog posts, and, since this blog is called I Tend To Ramble, I have decided to call the posts that come from my rambling writings 'Rambles'. And here is that first ramble:

I don't think I know a lot about much, to be honest I'm not even too sure why I'm writing this, or what exactly I'm actually going to write. I do know that I just want to write something. That's a feeling I've known for as long as I can remember, I've always loved to write. I didn't always want to be a writer, sometimes I wanted to be an artist or a singer, but there has always been that need to keep writing, and recently it's been getting stronger. Maybe that's because I've realised I do want to be a writer, an author, now, I don't know. Whatever the reason for my need to write, I'm glad I have that need. I don't know who I would be if I didn't want to write.
I don't always write about myself, like I'm doing now. Sometimes I do, I keep a diary, which I write entries in very irregularly, and occasionally I like to write poetry or song lyrics which can be about my own experiences, but they aren't always. Sometimes I'm inspired by things that have nothing to do with me. And I also like to write fiction, sometimes short stories, sometimes longer ones, which, of course, can be inspired by my life, but they aren't about me, they're about completely new people and new places that the world has never seen before.
That's part of what I love about writing, the ability to let your imagination run completely wild, to share crazy and unique ideas with people all over the world, people you've never even met before. I just think that's amazing. I don't think people should ever stop writing and reading other people's writing. True, talking with someone face-to-face is something special, and there may even come a day when people don't necessarily need to write, but I still don't think, even then, that people should stop writing. There is just something about books, and letters, and little notes, and random jottings. It can be difficult at times, but it's so expressive and I really do love to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment