Monday, 15 June 2015

Review: The WorldMight by Cyril Bussiere

Name: The WorldMight
Author: Cyril Bussiere
Publisher: Cyril Bussiere
Date published: 2014
Rating: 3/5
A mysterious prince looks the world over for a word that would save his love from the grip of an ancient beast. 
In the kingdom of Alymphia, Princess Aria and Prince Hob are readying themselves for the Fall Passing Festival, unaware that events that happened generations prior are about to change everything. 
An epic fantasy imbued with romance and mysticism, The WorldMight is a classic tale of love truer than time, a spiritual journey in a world heavy with secrets and magic. Despite spanning generations and more, it is also a very personal story of devotion, jealousy, and redemption.
- From Goodreads.

I think there was a lot about this story that I really liked, and that definitely includes the description. I thought the description was excellent and gave a wonderful sense of rhythm to the writing. It draws you in and floats you along the story, the emphasis really is on the words of the book. The description is especially used well to create suspense, fear and anticipation. However, although the description was excellent, at times it felt like there was too much of it and it stopped the story from moving forward. I understand that there needed to be world building, but I felt like there needed to be more show than tell. Similarly, I found that some parts were drawn out when they could have been covered more quickly, and since the prologue started in the middle of a scene with some action, the first few chapters seemed quite slow in comparison.
One of the negative aspects of The WorldMight was that, at some parts, it was difficult to keep reading because, although the story was interesting, I found I still had to almost fight with myself to be motivated to read it at some times, mainly towards the beginning, because of the slow pace. There was also the fact that I found some parts a bit strange because they did not quite fit, they either could have  been written differently or did not really need to be included at all. As well as that, at times it was hard to follow the plot because of the switches between the times and places, which I felt could have been clearer. Even with the situational details at the beginning of some of the chapters, sometimes it still took a bit of effort to work out exactly where and when certain parts of the book were taking place. Another negative aspect relates more to the technical side to the book, rather than to the actual story itself, as sometimes there were little spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and phrasing that did not quite work, and while it did not prevent me from being able to understand the writing, it was a little annoying.
Back to the positive aspects of the book, I really liked how everything tied together towards the end, and while I did guess at how certain things linked together earlier on, it was enjoyable to see how things fit together and how it all made sense. Speaking of the end, it was certainly not what I thought it would be! While I had guessed at how things would link together, I had no idea what would happen after that, and I definitely had not guessed at what did happen. When you are at the beginning of the story, you will have no idea where it will end, and in that respect it is most certainly not predictable.


No comments:

Post a Comment